Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday's Woe - The New Lepers' Colony







Wednesday's Woe


The New Lepers' Colony




I did not go to the baby shower;

What does that make me?

I am changed.

I can small-talk with the best of them

But why?

Why would I now?

Not now, when my child has died.

Small talk is for a social gathering -

My world has stopped;

There's not much social about it.

My world is about dealing with death.

Can death walk into a room with life?

They don't mix very well...

"Me? Oh I spend every day in tears.

Did you hear our good friends'

child was killed? Yes, killed

on the day before Mother's Day.

And how are you doing?"

As my boys tease about their daddy and me,

"Boy, these guys really know how to party..."


Life is different now.

All is serious... but the laughter in between.

People die. People can die.

And yes, Children die.

And child-loss mothers I meet are like me...

The walking dead.

We hover together, mourning our children


Since no one else wants to hear...

They'd rather go to a party;


I've tried the parties,

Really I have,

But the last "get together"

was a disaster.

Petty meanness showed up -

And I? I'm too tender for such,

Piled upon my pain.

Pain upon pain is too much.

So others can party.

They're welcome to.


But we, we want to hear our child's name

In the context of their life,

who they were,

who they are now...

For they're still alive,

in spirit now.

Have you heard of the "Great Cloud of Witnesses"?

It's real you know.


I told my son and daughter-in-law...

I won't be at the parties

But I will be here for my grandbaby~

They're lovingly naming her

After their sister / my baby!


When my baby left, my world stopped

And yet, perhaps it really started...


I only focus on what is real,

what is important, what is deep,

what is soulful,

Much like I do in my counseling practice.

Perhaps the world should see us as

missionaries now, on a different planet...

Missionaries to one another,

Binding our wounds,

Crying out our pain,

Wiping our tears...

The language of the wailing mothers

In the new lepers colony called

Bereaved Parents.

Even Scripture says,

Rachel refused to be comforted

for her children are

no more.

I'm thankful God understands...

He comes alongside,

He grieves,

He comforts,

for

He too lost His Child...



"A voice is heard in Ramah

mourning and great weeping,

Rachel weeping for her

children

And refusing to be

comforted,

because her children are

no more."


~Jeremiah 31:15, NIV




Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

~Hebrews 12:1, NIV









Paintings ~by Megan Kingery, artist, from her gallery - http://megankingery.homestead.com/gallery2.html

Poem - The New Lepers' Colony - Angie Bennett Prince - 6/14/2011

NIV - New International Version of The Holy Bible


TwitThis

1 comment:

Vicki @ Light for the Creative Soul said...

Love you, Angie. Just wanted to leave you a cyber hug:-)

Post a Comment