Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday’s Trust - Patient Trust...Perfect Peace



Patient Trust…

Perfect Peace


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.



Tuesday’s Trust


When I was seven years old, my best friend Penny lost her three-year-old baby sister. Some of the family had gathered around, talking with neighbors who were visiting with them in their yard. Unbeknownst to anyone, three-year old Jan ran out into the street thinking she could go get the mail by herself. The mailman didn’t see her, so he accidentally ran over her...twice (with both wheels)…


The next door neighbor, a teenage friend of the family ran back to his house and called for an ambulance, but the emergency operator did not believe him as some local teens evidently had pulled pranks calling for an ambulance numerous times in the recent past… So the emergency operators refused to call an ambulance out to my friend’s house for her baby sister. The teenage boy had to drive my friend’s mother as she held her 3-year-old baby girl cradled in her arms as fast as he could to the hospital emergency room himself… It was too late; little Jan had died...in her mother’s arms.


My friend’s parents were faithful members of my church. I noticed they did not return to church for a long time after Jan’s death. Even as a young child, I recognized that they could not continue life-as-usual as I knew they must be overwhelmed by their deep grief. When her parents did return to church, I was very impressed with what they had to say.


They told us (the church family) that they were surviving their devastating loss by continually meditating on a verse God had given them. This is the verse I very vividly remember them sharing with us amidst their tears:


Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.

Isaiah 26:3 KJV




I remember being very impressed that there was something, anything, that could give these parents peace at such a horrible time in their lives. I was also touched and amazed that God had made Himself known to them in such an intimate way, and that they were able to receive His comfort…



And now I know this same God.


Now I lean on this same verse.


And now I receive His same, very intimate comfort…




And even now, it is all still so amazing to me…



**********



And yet… losing a child is so unbearably painful, my heart is broken.



And today, I feel adrift.



Father, when I have no strength, thank You that You will have mercy and carry me, for I have no energy. And tonight, I wonder how did Mr. and Mrs. Parham do it? Their lives seemed so steady and faithful. And I seem so far at sea…


Adrift: floating without being either moored or steered


Trust: firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone or something



Though weary, depressed, and adrift, I put my trust in Your reliability, Your truth, Your ability, Your strength, and it will be You that gives me peace in spite of my terrible, woeful, exhausting circumstance. Thank You, Lord.



Thank You that I don’t have to trust in my reliability, my truth, my ability, or my strength, for in truth, it really is not there…




But thank You, that by faith, Your’s is.









TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment