Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wednesday's Woe - Did The Gates of Hades Prevail that Night? (Does Death Overcome Us, or Does God Overcome Death?)





Wednesday's Woe



Did The Gates of Hades Prevail that Night?


(Does Death Overcome Us, or Does God Overcome Death?)






I was reading the Scripture today, and was startled out of my sleepy stupor when I felt certain words from the passage in Matthew 16 reach in and rip my heart out... I knew at once those words were fodder for the "grief mill," so that I needed to process them out before God. It seems my grief is a series of reworking the Scripture through my broken heart and shattered soul until His truth penetrates for what it IS, not for what it SEEMS to me in looking through Grief's eyes, tinted by the Hurt, Pain, and Angst of a grieving mother's broken heart.





Jesus replied,


"Blessed are you, Simon, son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by My Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." ~Matthew 16:17-18





Did The Gates of Hades Prevail that Night?


(Does Death Overcome Us,


or


Does God Overcome Death?)




Father, please help me deal with what seems

To be a travesty within Your church:

The Gates of Hades ripped down our beams

As our baby was caught in Satan's lurch.


All our lives we tried, the right things to do,

T' raise children in Your nurture 'nd admonition;

I guess we thought we could rest in Heav'ns glue,

Yet one was blasted by Vile One's ammunition.


"On this rock, I will build My church," You said,

"The Gates of Hades to not overcome,"

And yet just now a child of Yours lies dead,

The Roaring Lion prowled, and devoured one.


How did the Gates of Hades "not o'ercome,"

Your vulnerable lambs trusted You t' intervene,

Our pray'rs crying out for You to save one

Who now has been destroyed by Death, obscene?




"My child, hear Me as I speak to you,

My Church is much bigger than this world;

Hades' Gates did not o'ercome~My Child died too...

Within His suff'ring His Own death, He saved your baby girl.

"Remember, My Kingdom's not of this world;

Remain steadfast~I will carry you through.


"Death's overcome. Satan will be destroyed.

Keep your eyes on Me, not on Gates of Hades' void.


"I am the resurrection and the life.

He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies...

Steep your heart in My truth, not in Satan's lies.



"Your child, in My comforting breast now lies,

For whoever believes in Me never truly dies!"





*****





1 Peter 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.


John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in Me will never die..."


John 16:33 (Jesus speaking) "I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."


1 Corinthians 15:26 "The last enemy to be destroyed is death."


2 Timothy 1:9b-10 "This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning o time. But it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel."


John 5:24 (Jesus speaking) "I tell you the truth, whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life."










Poem - Did the Gates of Hades Prevail that Night? - Angie Bennett Prince - 3/1/2011
Scriptures taken from the NIV (New International Version)

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment