Monday, March 18, 2013

Tuesday's Trust - From Meditation to Melt-Down!






The women, deep in wonder and full of joy, lost
no time in leaving the tomb. They ran to tell the
disciples. Then Jesus met them, stopping them in
their tracks. "Good morning!" he said. They fell
to their knees, embraced his feet, and worshiped 
him.

~Matthew 28:8-9, The Message



Tuesday's Trust

From Meditation to Melt-Down!





As I read this Scripture today, tears came. I was reminded of my meditation during the night on Wednesday night when I couldn't sleep, yet had an all-day seminar to attend the next day... I lay there thinking, 

"Okay, left brain, since you cannot seem to shut down to help me sleep, perhaps you can gather together the details for me as I imagine with my right brain the act of placing my heart into God's keeping." 

(See my poem in last week's "Friday's Faith" post:  "My Heart's Home" written after God had comforted me by saying He Himself was my heart's Home.) 




The desire I had that night for peaceful meditation backfired however: 

As I had invited my left brain to gather details, it put me on several airplanes (!) to get me to Heaven, but then my right brain jumped in and had me running straight into God's arms… 

Instead of receiving a gentle soothing, this very envisioning of being engulfed in such Love left me weeping on my pillow, and then, hoping the tumult of my heaving shoulders and my weeping would not awaken my husband as well! 

It seems I went swiftly from Meditation full-speed into Melt-Down!


God has a way of doing this, doesn't He? His Love can be overwhelming and both Joy- and Tear-producing!


These women I've cited in the Scripture above, too, were running, this time into the newly resurrected Jesus. They too didn't just stop in their tracks and stare in awe -- No, Jesus, like God, is much more intimate than that --- they knelt in intimate reverence and then dared to touch and hold onto His feet! Also, since they recognized immediately that they "were dealing with God in the living presence of Jesus," "so (too) they worshiped."


As Eugene Peterson goes on to describe what often happens as I meditate regarding being in God's arms, it seems to 

"(pull) us out of our preoccupation with ourselves, our feelings, or our circumstances into a world of wonder. It pulls us out of ourselves into the very action of God."

And many nights, resting in God's arms while He tackles all the weight of my world, I can rest like a baby, securely nestled in the safety of her mother's arms, or as I noted in the poem on Friday's Faith, securely nestled under the feathers of His wing… 

God truly does work in mysterious ways as the warmth of His love infills our hearts.










TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment