Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday's Trust - What's Behind the "Why?" ~Tommy and Angie Prince






I have been driven many times upon my knees
by the overwhelming conviction
that I had nowhere else to go.

~Abraham Lincoln


Tuesday's Trust

What's Behind the "Why?"

~Tommy and Angie Prince







What would knowing "Why" change in regard to our child's death?

If you knew "why" your child died, what difference would it make in how you're feeling now? Is asking, "Why?" an attempt to try to soothe our devastation and pain? It's not like any explanation would be good enough really. But we still push for "Why?" as if "knowing" would make some kind of positive difference.

Are we, in asking why, perhaps trying to protect our relationship with God?

There is a whole book of the Bible that was devoted to the question of "Why?" Severe tragedies happened in a certain man's life, one of which included the man's loss of all of his children; his heart was undone and he was questioning why. Even his friends were searching for the "Why?"  Is there something innate within us to ask "Why?" as a push to reconcile our understanding of God's heart and His actions? The book of Job in the Old Testament of the Bible addresses this question of "Why?" throughout, even to the point of God's responses to the victim and his friends many questions and accusations.

So when we question "Why?" amidst our child's death, perhaps we are trying to reconcile our understanding of who God really is, and how it is that His heart can allow something as unfathomable as our child's death. Jesus makes it clear in Scripture, that He Himself came to earth that we may have life, and have life more abundantly, but He also made it clear that it is Satan who comes to steal, kill, and destroy, not God. So our questioning "Why?" is perhaps a cry of "God help me understand how You love, but that Your love is expressed differently than the way my own love would have been expressed in regard to my child."


~~~


There are some who would adamantly proclaim that our cry of "Why?" IS actually a cry of faith. We will give an excerpt of a blog post we posted about a year ago addressing such a concept:



The cry of why is a cry of lament. This cry is good. It is necessary. It is a cry of protest to God, but also a cry of faith. Michael Card's book, A Sacred Sorrow, describes how lament is a biblical pattern for our lives. He states:


"When then, does God enshrine so many laments in His Word? Laments, we must realize are God's Word. Why are so many Biblical characters shown as disappointed and angry with God? Do we seek to learn from all the other facets of their lives but this? I would put it to you this way:


People like Job, David, Jeremiah, and even Jesus revealed to us that prayers of complaint can still be prayers of faith. 

They represent the last refusal to let go of the God who may seem to be absent or worse--uncaring. 

If this is true, then lament expresses one of the most intimate moments of faith--not a denial of it.



"It is supreme honesty before a God who my faith tells me I can trust. He encourages me to bring everything as an act of worship, my disappointment, frustration, and even my hate. Only lament uncovers this kind of new faith, a biblical faith that better understands God's heart as it is revealed through Jesus Christ."

See this entire post by clicking below. 




~~~~~



We close with a poem of an example of such a lament before God. This poem is provided by ~Wings of Hope~Living Forward.



AND GOD SAID

I said, "God, I hurt."
And God said, "I know."

I said, "God, I cry a lot."
And God said, "That is why I gave you tears."

I said "God, I am so depressed."
And God said, "That is why I gave you Sunshine."

I said, "God, life is so hard."
And God said, "That is why I gave you loved ones."

I said, "God, my loved one died."
And God said, "So did mine."

I said, "God, it is such a loss."
And God said, "I saw mine nailed to a cross."

I said, "God, but your loved one lives."
And God said, "So does yours."

I said, "God, where are they now?"
And God said, "Mine is on My right and yours will be in the Light."

I said, "God, it hurts."
And God said, "I know."

~Author Unknown








But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren,
concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not,
even as others which have no hope.
For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again,
even so them also which sleep in Jesus
will God bring with Him.
For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord,
that we which are alive and remain
unto the coming of the Lord
shall not prevent them which are asleep.
For the Lord Himself shall 
descend from Heaven with a shout,d
with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God;
and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
Then we which are alive and remain
shall be caught up together with them in the clouds,
to meet the Lord in the air;
and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

~I Thessalonians 4:13-18



~~~~~




There are no easy answers
to what you now endure,
no ways to dull your sorrow
and no quick or simple cure.
You have lost
someone you cherished
and their passing brings such pain,
but God gives you His promise,
one day you'll meet again.

~Author Unknown











All pictures, thanks to ~Wings of Hope~Living Forward

TwitThis

No comments:

Post a Comment